In brief, sure. Though thumb sucking or pacifier use is a pure reflex for infants, extended sucking can exert stress on their tooth and jaws. In case your little one frequently sucks on their thumb, finger, pacifier, or lips, it may doubtlessly influence the expansion of their tooth or jaw, with some bone modifications noticeable as early as 18 months of age.
Widespread orthodontic issues brought on by extended thumb sucking or pacifier use can embody:
- Protruding entrance tooth: entrance tooth that stick out (“buck” tooth). Protrusive entrance tooth could make it laborious to comfortably shut the mouth and lips, trigger speech issues, and make them extra vulnerable to trauma.
- Open chew: when the higher and decrease entrance tooth don’t overlap, which may create swallowing or speech issues.
- Crossbite: higher tooth that match contained in the decrease tooth. If not corrected, the jaw can shift to 1 facet inflicting lopsided jaw development.
What to do for those who discover extended thumb sucking or pacifier use
Seek the advice of your AAO orthodontist. They may be capable of determine any orthodontic associated points brought on by the oral behavior. They’ll supply early remedy choices to assist your little one break the behavior and proper any issues that will have occurred. Orthodontists have been particularly educated in dentofacial orthopedics. In different phrases, they may help jaws develop and develop in higher positions.
Seeing an AAO orthodontist at a younger age will permit them to assist your little one:
- Right dangerous oral habits
- Information jaw development
- Decrease the chance of trauma to protruded entrance tooth
- Information everlasting tooth into higher positions
Belief an AAO orthodontist
You may work with an American Affiliation of Orthodontists (AAO) Orthodontist to attain a wholesome, lovely smile at any age. Orthodontists are consultants in orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics – correctly aligned tooth and jaws – and possess the talents and expertise to present you your finest smile. Discover an orthodontist close to you at https://aaoinfo.org/locator